Statuary Restoration at the Elms and Rosecliff

Newport, RI
The Elms was the summer residence of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Julius Berwind of Philadelphia and New York. In 1898, the Berwinds engaged Philadelphia architect Horace Trumbauer to design a house modeled after the mid-18th century French chateau d'Asnieres (c.1750) outside Paris. Construction of The Elms was completed in 1901 at a cost reported at approximately $1.4 million.

Commissioned by Nevada silver heiress Theresa Fair Oelrichs in 1899, architect Stanford White modeled Rosecliff after the Grand Trianon, the garden retreat of French kings at Versailles. The house was completed in 1902, at a reported cost of $2.5 million.

Marble statuary at both The Elms and Rosecliff was restored through a 2005 grant of the Anton Family Foundation.  The original statues at the Elms had become damaged and broken over time and through the course of several hurricanes that took their toll on the Rhode Island coastline during the twentieth century.  At Rosecliff, the fountainhead and marble benches were similarly damaged.  Now, after restoration work enabled by the Anton Family Foundation’s grant, the original splendor of the mansions’ grand oceanside lawns has been restored.

Read more about the Elms...

Read more abou the Rosecliff...